Victoria Power Station, Victoria Road, Kirkcaldy

General Details and Location

Category
AT RISK
Name of Building
Victoria Power Station
Other Name(s)
Tramways Electric Power Station
Address
Victoria Road, Kirkcaldy
Locality
Postcode
Planning Authority
Divisional Area
Reference No
1029
Listing Category
B
OS Grid Ref
NT 28249 92420
Location Type
Urban
HS Reference No
45560

Description

2-storey, 5-bay, rectangular-plan, classically detailed former electricity generating station. Rusticated ashlar with polished dressings and channelled quoin strips; squared and snecked rubble to E, and brick to W and N. Base and eaves courses. Round and elliptical-arched windows. Keystones, voussoirs, stone mullions. Grey slate and asbestos. Cavetto-coped ashlar stacks with polygonal cans and ashlar-coped skews. INTERIOR: W gallery lined with enamel glazed polychrome bricks to S and E, latter also with 8-arch blind arcade. Mobile crane in situ.

As early as 1896, Professor Kennedy (of Messrs Kennedy and Jenkins) proposed a joint venture between power and tramways for Kirkcaldy. In 1898 he was appointed consultant engineer by the newly formed Tramways and Electric Light Committee. The main contractors were J & P McLauchlan of Larbert, but building was hindered by the difficulty in obtaining sufficient stone from Grange Quarry at Burntisland as well as the necessity for digging engine beds to a depth of 10ft. Three boilers and five engines (2 at 80hp and 3 at 250hp) were supplied by Browett, Lindley & Co Ltd. Victoria Road Power Station first generated electricity on 15th December, 1902, and was formally opened on 28th February, 1903 when the power was officially switched on by Provost Tait at 3pm. Guests from this ceremony were then driven in carriages to Gallatown to inspect the new tramway depot, and returned to town on a tram. The first service tram was run on Monday 2nd March. In 1909 the gallery was extended and a store added, a cooling tower was built in 1912 and a new engine room in 1922. (Historic Environment Scotland List Entry)
Building Dates
1901; extended 1909, 1912 and 1922
Architects
William Williamson

Category of Risk and Development History

Condition
Very Poor
Category of Risk
High
Exemptions to State of Risk
Field Visits
July 2000, 19/09/2007, 16/11/2010, 28/5/2014
Development History
July 2000: External inspection reveals the building to be in poor condition, with several broken windows and a leaking roof. Rusty downpipes and guttering have led to streaking on the principal elevation, a sign of water ingress. There is much vegetation growth on the mortar joints. The building is identified as a brownfield opportunity site in the draft Kirkclady Area Local Plan 2000, with residenital or commercial uses preferred. January 2001: SCT understands that Scottish Enterprise Fife has been in discussion with the owner in an effort to secure the site for residential development. February 2002: Local planners report that negotiations regarding the future use of this building are continuing. October 2006: Agents Graham and Sibbald report that they have not acted for the owner for a number of years. Details removed from record. December 2006: Fife Free Press reports on the continuing deterioration of this property. September 2007: External inspection reveals that due to the condition of the roof and rainwater goods it is probable that the internal fabric and structure of the building is deteriorating.
November 2008: A member of the public contacts SCT to advise the condition of the building continues to deteriorate and that a sign has been attached to the front gate advising that the site is proposed as a brownfield development in the draft Kirkcaldy & Mid Fife Local Plan 2008.
7 January 2014: Listed Building Consent for the demolition of the former power station with Planning Permission in Principle for a care home is being sought ref: 13/03794/LBC. The applicant is seeking demolition and redevelopment of the site on the grounds that the building is beyond economic repair.
28 May 2014: External inspection finds the building remains in much the same condition as seen previously.
5 July 2016: The site is now being marketed for sale through agents Graham & Sibbald (16 Wemyssfield, Kirkcaldy 01592 266211) as a development opportunity. Offers are invited at a nominal price of £1 but interested parties must prove they can undertake and complete a scheme of development that is acceptable to Historic Environment Scotland and Fife Council. Interested parties will be required to demonstrate they have a successful track record of developing site which encompass Listed buildings and that the necessary funds are in place. Further information on the requirements of the sale and contact details for interested parties is available on the marketing particulars.
2 February 2017: Listed Building Consent for demolition of the structure is being sought ref: 17/00059/LBC.

Guides to Development

Conservation Area
Planning Authority Contact
PAC Telephone Number

Availability

Current Availability
For Sale
Appointed Agents
Graham Sibbald (as at July 2016)
Price
See Development History text (as at July 2016)
Occupancy
Vacant
Occupancy Type
N/A
Present/Former Uses
Building Uses Information:
Present Use 1: N/A Former Use 1: Power Station
Present Use 2: N/A Former Use 2: N/A
Name of Owners
Mr Amir Josephs
Type of Ownership
Private

Information Services

Additional Contacts/Information Source
Bibliography
Brotchie (1978); Gifford (1988), p287; Pride (1999), p56.
Online Resources
Classification
Electricity Supply
Original Entry Date
26-JUL-00
Date of Last Edit
05/07/2016