Notice

Following a review of the Buildings at Risk Register we have paused the Register while we consider options for its future.
The website will remain accessible and searchable during this time, but it will not be updated and we’re not accepting nominations for additions to the Register. If you need to contact us about the BARR please email hmenquiries@hes.scot

Read the review report here and you can find out more about why we have paused the BARR on our news centre.

The Galloway Inn, Kirk Street, Markinch

+ -
Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved. © Copyright and database right 2025. Public Sector Viewing Terms

General Details and Location

Category
RESTORATION IN PROGRESS
Name of Building
The Galloway Inn
Other Name(s)
Address
Kirk Street, Markinch
Locality
Postcode
Planning Authority
Divisional Area
Reference No
4906
Listing Category
B
OS Grid Ref
NO 29706 02056
Location Type
Small Town
HS Reference No
37651

Description

2-storey, 3-bay, L-plan coaching inn with pilastered doorcase, on ground falling to S. Painted dressed ashlar and coursed rubble, painted margins and quoin strips; eaves course. S entrance: modern flat-roofed extension at ground not included in this listing. M-gabled above with window to right of centre at 1st floor. Recessed wall to right with garage openings at ground and 2 windows at 1st floor, single storey lean-to extension in re-entrant angle. Mainly 8-, 12- and plate glass glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows, top-opening timber windows to right at W and to E stair extension. Grey slates to W (small at apex) and pantiles. Coped ashlar stacks with some polygonal cans to S, coped brick to N and truncated ashlar to E. Ashlar coped skews with ropework scroll skewputts to W.

Pigot mentions this as the "old-est inn, with stabling for 12 horses" with Mr Galloway the landlord from approximately 1829-43. A sketch plan of Markinch by David Thomson dated 1765 shows a rectangular-plan building on this site. (Historic Scotland)
Building Dates
Early 19th century; later additions & possibly inc earlier fabric
Architects
Unknown

Category of Risk and Development History

Condition
Fair
Category of Risk
Low
Exemptions to State of Risk
Field Visits
25/08/2010, 18/6/2014, 16/08/2018, 30/4/2019
Development History
August 2010: External inspection finds the former hotel in very poor condition; vegetation growth, broken rainwater goods, poor slated roof and stone erosion are all evident.
April 2011: Change of use permission has been lodged with Fife Council for change of use to a dwelling house ref: 11/01789/FULL.
May 2011: The current owner of the building contacts RCAHMS to advise that restoration works are underway - the property have been repainted and rainwater goods have been repaired. The application for change of use is under consideration at Fife Council. Moved to restoration in progress.
15 June 2014: External inspection finds the restoration work on the front block has been completed and inhabited with the remainder in progress. Full Planning Permission for change of use was granted Jan 2012 ref: 11/01789/FULL.
30 April 2019: External inspection reveals no significant change from previous visit. Building remains partly restored and partly inhabited.
3 May 2024: Desk-based assessment suggests the building remains partly restored and partly inhabited.

Guides to Development

Conservation Area
Markinch
Planning Authority Contact
PAC Telephone Number

Availability

Current Availability
Not Available
Appointed Agents
Price
Occupancy
Part
Occupancy Type
N/A
Present/Former Uses
Name of Owners
Unverified see FAQ on ascertaining ownership
Type of Ownership
Private

Information Services

Additional Contacts/Information Source
Bibliography
Online Resources
Classification
Hotels and Inns
Original Entry Date
20-APR-11
Date of Last Edit
02/12/2014