Laurencekirk Railway Station and Canopy, Station Road, Laurencekirk
Formerly Known As
The station, which closed in 1967, has exceeded all expectations with records showing that over 64,000 people have used it in its first year since re-opening, more than double the number estimated.
The B listed stone building at Laurencekirk, 30 miles south of Aberdeen, was originally built in 1848, complete with cast-iron and glass canopy and period fireplaces. The £3.9m restoration project including completed refurbishment of the building and its two platforms. The station waiting room has retained its original features including two British Rail posters.
The re-opening of Laurencekirk railway station marked the culmination of a 14-year campaign by local residents to bring commuter trains back to the village. The scheme plays a key part in Nestrans’ Regional Transport Strategy for North East Scotland.
Development Project Information
Architects: IDP Architects
Engineers: Jacobs Babtie
Overall project managed by Galliford Try
Public Transport System
£3.9 million overall (which includes the completed refurbishment of the building and its two platforms)
Nestrans (20% of overall cost)
Railway Heritage Trust (£150,000)
Aberdeenshire Council promoted the project during feasibility